Chesapeake Bay Beach Club

Chesapeake Bay Beach Club
View from the roof of the Garden Room.

Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Whirlwind Weekend - Part One

Laura came in from Columbus this weekend. It was so good to have her home a few days, I miss her already! We had a busy weekend. She wanted to get as much done as possible while she was in town. So ... we started out early Saturday morning with a cake tasting. Breakfast was cake, about eight different kinds of cake. We had an appointment with a rather well known bakery in town.

Laura looked through the book of photos the the bakery had to choose a design for the cake before we actually tasted the different kinds of cake. She decided that there were one or two that she liked design wise. Laura liked a particular cake that had sugar sprinked on the top and sides of the cake. It was a 4 layer square shaped cake that was arranged as if it were gift packages stacked on top of each other. Very pretty, and the sugar sparkled and reminded us of the beading on her dress.

We started discussing with the woman helping us about options for the design. Laura preferred to have round layers instead of sqaure. We were told this wouldn't work because the cake was supposed to look like boxes. I disagreed, saying that round "pill" boxes or hat boxes could also stacked in the same manner ... but we were told this idea would not work.

We went on to the tasting part of the appointment. They had several different flavors and conbinations of icing and cake for us to taste. Laura, Lisa (Laura's younger sister) and I all liked the Neapolitan cake the best. It had layers of vanilla, chocolate and strawberry cake, with buttercream chocolate and strawberry filling. We also liked the Red Velvet cake, and surprisingly a coconut cake with an amaretto filling.

They gave us an estimate for the cake ... about $1,500! We thanked them and then head off to the next destination ... a bridal shop to look at the dress Laura found for the Junior Bridesmaid.

The shop was mobbed as usual, which in a way was good. We were able to slip under the radar of the salespeople for a little while and check out the dress without being bothered. While we were there I tried on several dresses and Laura took pictures. Once again I was reminded that I am the reluctant MoB! I thought one dress was ok and the other I wasn't too sure of. Laura liked it but I was not convinced. It was made in chiffon, cut low in a "V" neck with some beading on the bodice and spaghetti straps. Then the dress fell from an empire style bodice into a flowing skirt. That part I liked ... but when Laura emailed me the pictures I went "ahhhhhhh"! My worst nightmare was captured in the picture. Flabby arms!! So gross. Makes me want to find a dress with long sleeves! The only problem is the wedding is at the height of summer so that just won't do. I want to look nice for this wedding, so I guess it will be workout time.

No comments:

Post a Comment